The GMDSS General Operators Certificate (GOC) is the highest level GMDSS radio operator qualification and is suitable for professional mariners including Merchant Navy deck officers, offshore radio operators serving on mobile platforms, and commercial yacht masters
Holders of the GMDSS GOC are certified to operate all licensed marine radio equipment, including radiotelephony, digital selective calling, radio telex, and satellite mobile earth stations. The certificate can be STCW endorsed and permits the holder to operate the radio installation on GMDSS compliant/compulsorily equipped vessels operating in any of the GMDSS sea areas (A1-A4).
Duration 10 days
Course Code STCW A-VI/2
The course is a structured mixture of theory and practical application and covers three main areas:
- Radio regulations and procedures relating to Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)
- Practical operation of GMDSS systems
- Radiotelephone procedures.
- Students will gain detailed practical knowledge of the equipment of ship stations including digital selective calling (DSC), the principles of telex over radio, and to inmarsat systems. Operational procedures and practices and the exchange of communications relevant to the safety of life at sea are also covered.
This intensive 10-day course prepares students for the GMDSS GOC exam. The course is delivered by a highly experienced team of professional communicators, providing both breadth and depth of operational and technical knowledge gained in industry. Course instructors are also experienced GMDSS examiners who can provide targeted guidance and support to students.
- Delegates must be at least 16 years of
- Proficiency in English Language written and Verbal skills
- Knowledge of the phonetic alphabet; computer keyboard literate.
All personnel employed onboard vessels who are involved with the communications and emergency response teams.
A Project Maritime Training STCW 2010 Manilla Compliant Statement of Results will be issued on delegate been found competent.
Every five years.
Held at Project Maritime Training, Saldanha Bay, South Africa.
Items to bring
- Delegates must present photographic ID at the start of the course.
- Accepted forms are government issued photographic identification, eg passport or identity document
- Recognised in date medical certificate
All delegates will be asked to complete a medical questionnaire prior to course commencement.
Courses as per training schedule or on request
Comments are closed.